Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Little Less Time, A Little Less Blogging

Our time lately seems to be flying by. Surprise surprise. Between my day job, Scout, and family time, it seems like my time is always running short. As such, I'm finding that I've made less time for blogging in the past few weeks.

As we all know, cooking is kind of my thing. I bake and I cook like it's nothing. When Williams-Sonoma ran a sale on their precious Easter-themed pancake molds, it seemed like a no-brainer that they would find a way into our home. Humorously enough, I don't work so well with pancake molds. Apparently. I can make carrot cake from scratch without a recipe, but bunny shaped pancakes were an epic fail. I ended up making regular pancakes and using the molds as cookie cutters. Cullen liked them...

While James' mom was in town, we tried to fit in as many activities as possible. We headed out to the Woodlands to do a little shopping at Hubble & Hudson on Saturday morning. This was Cullen's first experience with his own personal shopping cart. We had to hand each item to him to be placed in the cart as he enjoyed snacks and a leisurely stroll.
The next morning was Easter. We started out by dying Easter eggs. This was the first time we've done this with Cullen, and he really enjoyed himself. I used it as a learning time to talk about colors.  
I wrote the name of each one of our Easter guests on an egg. The only one that came out was Cullen's. Apparently, I'm not too good with a wax crayon either.
Cullen's Easter basket was books and puzzles with just a little bit of chocolate. Even though I explained the bunny and Jesus, Cullen was totally perplexed by presents. All he wanted to do was hunt eggs. So we did.
James and Lynn stuffed 70 eggs. James and Charly hid them. Not everyone enjoyed the hunt as much as James and I did, but it was a good time. 
I followed Cullen around with spare baskets to hold the extras. 
Of course, Uncle Andy taught Cullen how fun it is to "throw up" eggs. As soon as Cullen learned that it was a new way to gain laughs, he did it over and over again. He always asks me if things are funny or not. Quite the comedian. Each time, it reminds me of Kellie Little asking me if it would be funny if she showed me her bootie cheeks. I think she was three at the time.
James decided to get creative with the egg stuffing. There were eggs with animal crackers, some with candy, a couple with marshmallows, and one surprise one with Cheetos. Cheetos make my kid happy.
Cullen really enjoyed spending time with Grandma Lynn. He has recently taken on a sense of possessiveness. Lynn is HIS Grandma Lynn. My phone is HIS phone. James' iPad is HIS iPad. He also thinks that mosquito bites are "my skito bites." I'm sure it will get old, but, for now, I find it hilarious.
While Lynn was in town, we had dinner out a few nights. Each time, James managed to make it home, and Cullen and I met Lynn and James at the restaurant. In an effort to keep Cullen entertained, I let him crawl in the front seat with me while we waited. Cullen's favorite activity was opening and closing the sun roof and peaking outside. 
On Wednesday afternoon, I was offered four tickets to that night's Astros game. With really good (and free) tickets and a parking pass, it was hard to say no. Cullen's first Astros game was two years ago with Richard and Julie, so this was Cullen's first alert time at a baseball game. He was in heaven.
He loved the sounds, he loved the crowd, and he was incredibly perplexed by the loud speaker system.
The absolute highlight of the game was Cullen getting a baseball. It was hard to top that moment.
This picture has very little to do with anything, but I thought he looked cute. Cute, right?
This weekend was full of cakes and baking and crawfish and barbecue. James' company crawfish boil was yesterday. James went out on Friday afternoon to start the barbecue. I loved hearing everyone talk about how it was the best barbecue they had ever had. It made me proud.
 
 
 The crawfish boil was so much fun, and we had a really great time. James was busy working, and I was busy chasing Cullen. Cullen played multiple hours in the bounce house and running in the yard. I would  love to say that he slept late the next day, but it isn't true. Cullen even had his first Capri Sun yesterday. He was a happy, happy boy. 
On Friday afternoon, after months and months of considering it, I finally bought a professional mixer. It makes my old mixer look like a baby. A very small part of me is considering selling the old one, but the rest of me loves the convenience of having two mixers. Now I just need two ovens!

I had a really big-for-me order this weekend for a first birthday party. A cake that served 40 with a beehive smash cake.  
 And the two dozen cake pops set up to look like daisies. It took me way longer than I expected to assemble everything, but it was a great learning experience. I really appreciated my friend, Ja'Net, hanging out with me while I coated the cake pops. The little boys played while we visited, and the work seemed so much easier. Time with friends is always a great addition to my week!
This week, I've got only one order in for now, and I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend with my boys. It's crazy that I'm looking forward to next weekend on a Sunday night, but that's how it goes!

xoxo Ashley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment