Wednesday, February 13, 2013

When A Heart Breaks

I've been holding off on making this post for almost a week now. We've had things happen in our home, happy and sad over the last two weeks, but I've really had my mind on some very good friends of ours lately. The weekend before last, their four month old daughter went to be with Jesus. No matter how hard I've tried, I really can't wrap my head around that. 

I think what makes it worse for me is seeing how very much Meredith seemed so together at sweet Emma's funeral last week. Meredith was calm and collected and grounded in her faith. I'm not questioning God's existence, but it sure is tough to wonder what He was thinking. Why don't good moms get to keep their sweet babies? We want a baby. We hope and pray for a healthy baby. We just want to raise that sweet baby. Why don't those of us that want to do so just get to do it?

More than once in the last couple of weeks, I've been reminded of the movie Steel Magnolias. I think about M'Lynn crying over losing her daughter. Crying about the things she can do that her daughter can't. Realizing how blessed she was to be there to welcome her sweet daughter into the world and to be there as she drifted away. I'm reminded of something we should always keep in mind when a loss occurs. "We should handle it the best way we know how and get on with it. That's what my mind says. I just wish somebody would explain it to my heart."

And so, we try to get on with things. I try to remind myself that no amount of my own heartache will bring that sweet little girl back. All we can do is pray and love on her precious family. And so, we will. Because I love and adore Meredith. Because our husbands are friends and brothers. Because my sweet little boy is crazy in love with their adorable little Maddie. 

As you take time to pray in the coming days, weeks, and months, please pray for the Coe family. Pray without ceasing. There is such a healing power in prayer.

xoxo ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment