Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Broke

So many people I know are celebrating spring break this week. I don't get a spring break. I don't get a wonderful week off to spend time with my son. I have a lot of blessings in my life, but that just isn't one of them. I guess I'll just have to be thankful for what I do have.

This past weekend, I got to spend a four day weekend with Cullen. We had the best time, and it made me even more sick over the fact that I have to work. Our time together was nothing short of perfect. There were tears shed, dirty diapers and lost sleep, but that is perfect to me.

On Thursday, we went to the zoo with Dana and Noah. It was the perfect day for the zoo, and the boys got to enjoy the animals while the moms enjoyed visiting. We even took a spin on the carousel. Cullen didn't really know what to think at first, but he seemed happy by the end of the ride. Now that he knows what to expect, I can't wait to take him again!

That night, I went out for a GNO with a good friend of mine and a group of her friends. Alamo Drafthouse was doing an '80s anthem singalong, and I had the best time. We laughed, we sang, we danced, we ate pizza. My kind of night out with friends. On our way out of the theater, we got some of our fellow singers to snap a picture of us. So happy.
Since I had time off of work, I decided to pack each day with as much activity as possible. On Friday, we had a play date with Lesley and Hunter. Cullen is 9 months younger than Hunter, but the boys seemed to enjoy each other's company. While the boys tore up the house, Lesley and I got to catch up. I'm hoping for more of those play dates in our future.

Before we got our play date started, Cullen tanked up on some breakfast. The kid seriously ate two mandarin orange cups and two NutriGrain bars. I think that would fill most adults, so I thought he was done until lunch time. Right after I got him dressed, he walked into the kitchen, opened the freezer (you read that one right), took out a frozen waffle, and proceeded to eat it. Frozen. He was happy, so I let him do it. He ate almost half of the waffle before Scout decided to help him out. It's funny how independent he's getting!
The Waffle Bandit

On Saturday, we managed to squeeze in a visit to the rodeo so Cullen could see more animals. Kristen came with us, and James got some really great (and rather lengthy) video of Cullen at the petting zoo. Before we left, I decided to get Cullen's bag all packed and ready to go. For his birthday, he received this precious lion backpack from a dear friend of ours (thanks Katie :)). Cullen loves to hug on the backpack, but it looks like he doesn't like wearing the backpack. I don't know why, but I love this picture. He just looks so grown up!
In between all of our activities, I did finally manage to finish Cullen's afghan. For the record, he hates it. SO glad I spent so much time on it. I also planted and mulched the garden and painted the guest room. Long story short on the guest room, Sherwin Williams didn't sell me enough paint. And then the second can of paint didn't match the first. We're out of paint and money for "crafts," and I just don't care anymore. I hope our guests don't mind the two tone walls. I have no intention of buying more paint in the next couple of months. Maybe years. Maybe we'll just move. Most importantly, my project list for before my mother-in-law visits is complete. I'm hoping to get to spend time with her and enjoy her company while she visits with no distractions.

On Wednesday night, James and I had our first date night in almost a year. James has been volunteering at the rodeo, and a lady he volunteers with offered us free tickets. Our only issue was child care. I still have a problem with leaving my kid with a 17 year old or a stranger. Sorry. I don't want to be the lady on the news with the missing (or any other scary issue) baby. He's too important to me.

A neighbor of ours volunteered to watch Cullen for us, so we were set to go. Free tickets, free parking, free babysitting. We spent less than $20 and had so much fun. I missed Cullen like crazy, but it was so nice to get to spend that time with James. By the end of the evening, we had three wonderful ladies keeping an eye on Cullen, and I was totally at peace with having a night out with James. Even better, they texted me photo updates. Cullen is such a big boy these days. He loves to eat in a regular chair at the table with us!
Now that the busiest week ever is almost behind me, all I have to look forward to is the Warrior Dash. By noon on Saturday, I should be donating my running shoes to a good cause. I can't wait!

xoxo ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment