Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Crocodile Encounters

This past Sunday, we headed out to Angleton to experience Crocodile Encounters. This was seriously one of the best family activities we've done in a while. I can't remember how I stumbled across this little gem, but I've been wanting to take Cullen for a few months now. A highlight for me is that my middle school science teacher owns the place. Mr. Dieter was one of my favorite teachers, and I knew from my time in his class that this would be a unique experience. 

We got there a little early and had to wait for the tour to start. That one is always hit or miss with a less-than-patient Cullen. Luckily, there were two very big snakes to entertain Cullen. He walked back and forth between the enclosures updating us on snake activity (napping, playing, being fat, etc.). 

During our wait, Mr. Dieter walked through and started asking guests where they were from. He pointed to me, and said, "I know you. You were one of my students. You're Ashley Bailey, aren't you?" Hilarious. 

So we went on the tour. So awesome. Our tour guide for the first half of the tour was Leonard, and he was incredibly knowledgeable about all of the animals. As a mom, I was terrified when he was in the enclosure with the alligators. It was so neat to watch the alligator pop up in the water when he heard Leonard walk up with lunch. 
And really awe inspiring when he started coming out of the water to get the chicken.
Look at that guy! 
Seeing the alligator entirely out of the water made me think that Leonard's mom doesn't know where he works. It also reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw years ago that said, "Don't tell my mom I'm a pilot. She thinks I'm a piano player in a whore house." In all seriousness, the animals were well-trained, so maybe I'm just hormonal and anxious. (<-- comments="" in="" need="" not="" of="" p="" rhetorical="" statement="">
Next up was feeding the giant tortoises. 
These little guys loved bananas. 
Cullen was even brave enough to help feed them. 
Banana munching tortoise. 
Cullen loved watching the turtles fight over the bananas.  
And he was even brave enough to pet some of them!
There were also some really great crocodiles.  
And check out this crocodile snack! 
There were so many animals we didn't get a picture of. I'm hoping to be back out there next month for a birthday party, so I'll see if I can't catch more then. 

Our last stop was to see and hold a snake. As it turns out, I'm still not a fan of snakes. Creepy things. 
Of course, Cullen showed no fear. He held one for about two seconds before I reminded him not to squeeze it, and he decided he was done. 
Of course, James looks like a snake charmer. 
And Wiley is right at home with them. 
We had a really great time on the tour, and I'm so glad we got to go. Cullen keeps asking when we can go back. Not soon enough, I suppose.

xoxo ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment