Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Change Is The Only Constant

Billie Holiday sings the song "What A Difference A Day Makes." I know there are a lot of other versions out there, but hers is my favorite. I love it. Not only is it a beautiful song, it is also an honest portrayal of how quickly life moves. A reminder of how quickly life changes.

The last week has been absolute chaos. I enjoy change, but sometimes it is all a bit too much. Last Wednesday, James went out of town for work. It was one night, so I didn't think it would affect our lives too much. Thursday morning, Cullen was sick. I didn't know how sick he was until I drove all the way into town with him. While telling the director of his school that he wasn't entirely himself that morning, he threw up on me and her. Nothing like puke in your hair at 8am.

Of course, I couldn't call in sick to work, so I got to work from home while caring for a sick and cranky toddler. By Thursday afternoon, Cullen seemed to be doing a lot better, so we went to pick James up from our local Enterprise. On the way home, Cullen threw up again. In case you're curious, that would have been the third time in the car that day. I really appreciate all of the steps Britax took to make their car seats safe for my son, but I would LOVE to write a formal letter letting them know how insanely difficult it is to clean vomit out of each little crevice. Gross.
What do you mean we have to wash the puke out of my hair?

While cleaning the car and car seat and sweating to death one drop at a time, I decided to call my mom to see how her day was going. She usually has funny stories, and I needed something funny in my life. Thursday just wasn't the day for funny. My mom was diagnosed last week with stage II melanoma. Everything should be fine, but it is really scary to think about your mom's mortality. Her initial plan was to not have the surgery, but I think we've changed her mind on that one. The next few weeks will be stressful as we wait on test results and visit with doctors. I feel pretty strongly that this will all go smoothly. Any additional prayers are certainly appreciated!

As I was reeling from that phone call, I got a text from my office counter-part. There are were only two of us on the auto team. Now there is one. She got fired. Craaaaap. That isn't to say that she didn't deserve it, but I really didn't need that one. On Friday, I had to send a less than 100% Cullen to school to help clean up the disaster at the office. If I had to guess, she knew it was coming, because she left a ton of stuff not done. My assistant has been promoted to her position, so I am now assistant-less and helping to train my assistant to do my job. Not cool.

Saturday was our last chance to see my brother and his family before they left for Okinawa. It was so tough to say goodbye, but I don't think it has really sunk in yet. I have to imagine it will be fun and exciting to have family overseas for a bit. When I want to pick up the phone to call in the middle of the afternoon (which is overnight over there), that's when I'm going to have issues. I guess I'll just have to work my way through it, and we're going to have to go visit.

Tomorrow morning is my dentist appointment with Cullen. Let me clarify: that would be my appointment with Cullen in tow. This should be so interesting. I hope the hygienist has her coffee before seeing me!

xoxo ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment