Thursday, August 4, 2011

In Brazoria County, We Celebrate The Mosquitoes

Yep, you read that one right. Every year, the last weekend of July is reserved for the Great Texas Mosquito Festival. As a teenager, it was a lot of fun to get to stay out a little later, listen to live music, and two-step in the field. Even now, it sounds a little too country.

This past weekend, our little family made the trip down to Lake Jackson to spend time with my family, visit with my grandmother, and hang out at Mosquito Fest. Regrettably, I only took one picture. Cullen still has ZERO pictures with my grandmother. Epic fail on that one. Funny enough, that one picture I took is blurry and my nephew is crying. Alas, I couldn't go on without sharing the family photo with THE mosquito. I feel like a hick just writing this.
I'm not going to lie. We had fun. It was hot. It was disgusting, but it was nice to just spend some time outside with Cullen and visit with old friends.

Of course, this was after we spent our Friday night at the Petroleum Club for an engagement party. Two very different walks of life. We got to spend a lot of time with so many friends this weekend. Following the engagement party, I found out that we will be attending a black tie wedding for this couple. What am I supposed to even wear to that? Sounds like I get to go dress shopping!

On Friday night, we made plans with friends to get together for a little BBQ on Sunday. I kept thinking there would be 6 of us, and James just kept buying more meat. When it was all said and done, James made two pork butts, 2 racks of ribs, 2 chickens, a bunch of sausage, and we had fed 15 people.
It was an incredibly busy weekend, but it was really great to get to spend time with family and friends. On Sunday morning, my brother headed "home" to help the movers pack up their house; that afternoon, my grandmother headed back to Florida; and on Monday morning, James' mom headed back to California.

We planned some down time this weekend, so my college roommate is headed into town (Hi Katie!). Katie and I (well, it was mostly just me) volunteered to help paint Cullen's school on Saturday morning. Our options were to help paint or have tuition go up so that professionals could paint. It was a pretty easy decision for me. A true sign of a best friend is the one that will get up early on her day off to help paint your child's preschool. I can't wait for the debauchery to begin.

I'm sure we'll jam in a million other things and promise to rest another time. Until then, we'll be enjoying our time with the people we love!

xoxo ashley

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashley,

    I didn't know you blogged. We blog too! Ohh the Mosquito Festival, so much fun. Wait till you take Cullen to the Bazoria County Fair, that's real treat! Looks like all is well with your family!-Morgan Messick Andoe

    http://theandoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete