Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Miss Emma Kate

I'm a little hesitant to post this blog today. You see, I don't know how I would feel about someone posting about my child. But the truth is, God has been nudging me and pushing. I need to get this out, but, even more importantly, this little girl needs our prayers.

As a mom, I can't even begin to put myself in Meredith's shoes. As a friend, my heart can't hurt enough. Meredith and I went to Baylor together. Her husband and mine were fraternity brothers. Even though we lived in the same dorm, just a few doors down from one another, we may never have met if it weren't for Jason and James.

I can't help but laugh when I think about how Meredith's generosity helped give us a place to live more than once in this lifetime. The few weeks prior to graduation from Baylor, my lease was up, and Reese (my dog) and I were not sure what we were going to do. In stepped Meredith with an offer to let me stay at her place with my dog. Who just lets someone stay at their condo with their dog? Someone like Meredith. So, it should come as no surprise that Meredith was the one who volunteered her home when James and Scout (the new dog) needed a place to stay for a few weeks after our Austin home had sold and our Houston home hadn't closed yet. She was beyond gracious when our closing didn't occur on time and James and Scout had to stay an extra week. And on the night we moved into our new home? Here come Meredith and Jason, asking what they can do. Not too many friends will show up on moving day. Meredith and Jason will.

And that is why I find myself asking God why He would let Meredith and Jason go through what they are going through now. They have two beautiful little girls. Maddie was born in August of 2010, and Cullen is head over heels for her. It has been nearly a year since we last saw them, but Cullen remembers Maddie. Maddie's little sister, Emma, was born in September, and Emma is struggling hard just to survive.

Emma has congenital nephrotic syndrome. Her little kidneys just aren't working the way they need to. And along the way, Emma has had one tough day after another. Tomorrow, she will be three months old. She has spent almost all of those three months in a hospital. So many days when the healing isn't happening. So many days when her mama can't hold her.

All of this to say, the Coe family needs our prayers. I pray a lot. When I pray in the car, I try to include Cullen. Just a little lesson to teach him that prayer doesn't have to be formal. We don't have to be at church. We just need to want to talk to God. So talk to God. And pray for Emma.

For more info on Emma's story and more specific ways to pray, please visit Meredith's blog: http://thecoechronicles.wordpress.com/

xoxo ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment